Cities, counties, townships, and even local non-profit organizations around the country offer grants to people who need emergency work done on their home or apartment. The income requirements can go up to $42,000 for a couple. To find programs you may qualify for in your area you must search: 1) your city or township government, 2) your county government, and 3) local non-profit agencies and local development corporations. Make sure you check with all of the following offices for help in locating appropriate organizations in your area: 1) your local library, 2) your local elected officials, 3) your local United Way, and 4) all housing agencies in your area. Local government offices can be identified at www.govengine.com and your local United Way can be identified at http://national.unitedway.org/myuw/.
Income Eligibility: Varies from program to program.
Listed below is a sampling of similar local programs around the country. They should give you an indication of the kind of help that may be available in your area, too.
- $2,500 Grant For Emergency House Repairs For 62 Or older
Neighborhood Housing Services of Jamaica, Inc.
Jamaica, New York
- Free Minor Home Repairs For 62 Or older And Income Less Than $41,000
Los Angeles Housing Department
Los Angeles, CA
- $5,000 Home Repair Grant For 55+ And 50% Of Median Income
First Ward Action Council, Inc.
- $3,500 Grant For Emergency Repairs For Seniors Making $25,650
- Sacramento Housing & Redevelopment Agency
- Roof, Plumbing, Heating-Cooling and Other Repairs For Seniors Making $42,200
Community Services of Arizona, Inc.
- $2,500 Grant For Emergency Repair For Seniors Making $25,350
City of Colorado Springs, Housing Rehabilitation Program, Emergency Repair
Colorado Springs, CO
- $5,000 Grant To Fix-Up 1 to 4 Family Units For Seniors Making $25,100
Margert Community Corporation
New York City’s Queens County, NY http://www.margert.org/majorprograms/restore.html
- $20,000 Forgivable Loans To Fix Your Roof, Broken Windows, Water Damage, Structural Deficiencies For Seniors Making $46,680
Housing Program, Emergency Repair Program
Deltona, Florida http://www.ci.deltona.fl.us/2001/departments/development_services/SHIP_Emergency_Repair.html)
- $2,500 Grant In Emergency Money For 55+ With $21,700 Income
Dept of Housing and Business Development
) ) ) ) )
The Government Money Club offers free training videos, free live assistance for all types of free government programs, including grant minority